SEND Information Report

Virtual tour of the school (created by Year 9 ICT Students)

  • Who are the best people to talk to at Weobley High School about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

    The Assistant Head for Additional needs and SENDCo
    Responsible for:

    • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
    • Ensuring that you are:
      • involved in supporting your child’s learning
      • kept informed about the support your child is getting
      • involved in reviewing how they are doing
    • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
    • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
    • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.
    • Monitoring and collating data for exam access arrangements
    • Ensuring reasonable adjustments are made for pupils with SEND to ensure they can access the curriculum and all assessments.


    Responsible for:

    • Being a first point of contact for any concerns you have with regard to your child in school
    • Monitoring overall progress, attendance and behaviour of your child
    • Setting specific progress targets in discussion with you and your child at consultation day

    Subject teacher
    Responsible for:

    • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENDCo know as necessary.
    • Providing good or outstanding teaching to your child
    • Differentiating work to meets the needs of children within the class
    • Making reasonable adjustments to teaching to ensure your child can access the curriculum.
    • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

    Head teacher
    Responsible for:

    • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
    • He will give responsibility to the senior leadership team, inclusion manager, Subject leaders, tutors and subject teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
    • He must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

    SEND Governor
    Responsible for:

    • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.
  • What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Weobley High School?

    Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
    For your child this would mean:

    • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
    • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
    • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
    • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCO or one of our specialist teachers) are in place to support your child to learn.
    • Your child’s teachers will carefully monitor your child’s progress and will decide if your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
    • There is a dedicated homework club that is supervises twice a week. Computer access is available. Please contact Mrs Day for more details.

    All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

    Access to the LInC our Learning Inclusion Centre and support from the pastoral team

    • Each year group has their own Learning Coordinator who will monitor progress, attendance and behaviour across the cohort. They will also be a key contact for parents, teaching staff and student to talk about issues that may be concerning them
    • The LInC is a unique place in the heart of Weobley High School where students go for help and support of all kinds whether for support with learning, GCSE coursework, revision techniques or emotional support. The aim of the LInC is to support children through any and all difficulties preventing them from escalating and allowing the children to enjoy a safe and supported atmosphere at Weobley High School.

    Targeted interventions either 1:1 or small in groups
    the school runs a great variety of interventions centred around the needs of the child they may be:

    • Run in the classroom or outside. Often during registration time.
    • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups or our specialist dyslexia teacher.
    • Academic or pastoral for example, read write inc. springboard maths or physical therapy sessions.

    Support may also be provided from an external specialist. For example:

    • Speech and language therapy
    • Occupational therapy
    • Educational psychology
    • The school also buys in a counsellor/psychotherapist


    • You are welcome to come to one of our parent surgery meetings to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
    • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
    • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
      • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
      • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise
      • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group
      • A group or individual work with outside professional
    • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will discuss with you the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place. The school will always endeavour to make whatever reasonable adjustments they can to support children and promote your child’s progress and wellbeing.
    School entitlement offer to pupils with additional needs
    Communication and interaction needs ASDSLCN LInCASD specialist TAMultisensory class roomsSALT provisionTransition support programmesLife skills interventionsCAF
    Cognition and learning needs MLDSLD LInCSpecialist TA’sSpecialist literacy and numeracy interventionsLife skillsFlexible, individualised curriculumCAF
    Behavioural, emotional and social development needs Behavioural needsEmotional health and well beingSocial need LCo’sRewardsBehaviour policyLInCGood/outstanding teaching practiseIndividualised curriculumMotive8Work experienceBSTCAF
    Sensory and Physical needs Hearing impairmentVisual impairmentMulti-sensory impairmentPhysical and medical needs Communicator for the deaf FTSpecialist VI TAMultisensory teaching approachVisual aidsRampsReasonable adjustments to curriculum and physical environmentIndividualised curriculumTransition programmeCAF
    School offer to pupils who require support that is “additional to and different from” that received byother pupils.At Weobley High School, a variety of intervention programmes have a crucial role to play in continuing to raise standards in literacy and mathematics. The school continually monitors children’s progress and targets support to help those who need to catch up. The effective targeting and monitoring of the use of intervention programmes is vital if all children are to reach their potential.
    Pupils with English as an additional language(EAL) As part 1 plus liaise with the EAL team at the local authority
    Children in care (LAC) As part 1 plus work closely with social care and the LAC education team at the local authority to ensure the best possible provision
    Traveller pupils (GRT) As part 1 plus liaise with team leader for equalities and GRT teacher from the local authority
    Refugee and asylum seekers As part 1 plus liaise with team leader for equalities from the local authority
    Minority ethnic and faith groups As part 1 plus liaise with team leader for equalities from the local authority
    Pupils with medical needs As part 1 plus liaise with medical professionalsSpecialist TA for physiotherapy and occupational therapy support
    Young carers As part 1 plus work with young carers charity
    Pupils at risk of exclusion As part 1 plus PEP, learning mentors, phased re-integration after major incidents to support improved behaviour
    Pupils from alternative gender groups As part 1 plus liaise with team leader for equalities from the local authority
    Pupils from families under stress As part 1 plus CAF, CAFMAG
  • How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
    • Our parent’s surgeries are held regularly and are a very effective way of raising any concerns or simply ‘checking in’ with your child’s teachers. Appointments can be made with any of your child’s teachers, their learning coordinator or the SENDCo through the office.
    • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s tutor or the subject teacher initially.
    • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to your child’s learning coordinator who may suggest a meeting with a member of senior staff.
    • If you are still not happy you can speak to the Head teacher or school SEND Governor.
  • How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

    If your child is then identified as not making progress it may be highlighted in a number of ways:

    • Grade reviews
    • Annual reports
    • Phone calls from teaching staff or a request to attend a parent surgery appointment
    • If the school feels that your child may be identified as having SEND then the schools SENDCo will contact you. If however you feel that your child is struggling and it has not been identified please book an appointment through the parent surgery system

    During a meeting with your childs teacher or the schools SENDCo they will:

    • listen to any concerns you may have too
    • plan any additional support your child may receive
    • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?
    • The school budget, received from Herefordshire LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
    • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
    • The senior leadership team will assess the needs of children in the school and use pupil premium money and SEND funding to provide the appropriate provision within the school. This may include staff training or outside agencies
    • The school places a great emphasis on quality first teaching through outstanding teaching practise funding is also used to provide the best quality learning experiences for your child
  • Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEND in this school?

    Directly funded by the school:

    • The LInC Inclusion manager
    • Assistant Head teacher additional needs/SENDCo
    • Assistant Head teacher student support
    • Work experience coordinator and careers advisor
    • Specialist Dyslexia teacher
    • 5 Learning coordinators
    • Counsellor/psychotherapist
    • A number of experienced teaching assistants each with their own specialist area including ASD, Exam access, literacy physical therapy etc.
    • Specialist intervention teachers for Maths and English


    Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

    • 2 hearing impaired communicators
    • Autism Outreach Service
    • Educational Psychology Service (only statutory work funded)
    • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
    • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).

    Provided and paid for by the Health Service (Oxleas NHS Trust) but delivered in school:

    • School Nurse
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Physiotherapy
  • How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?
    • The AHT Additional needs/SENDCo’s job is to support the class teachers in planning for children with SEND and to ensure they are up to date with the latest developments for children with SEND and other vulnerable groups.
    • The school provides training for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as ASD and Speech and language difficulties.
    • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of children within the school e.g from the ASD Outreach service.
  • How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?
    • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
    • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
    • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
    • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her subject teachers.
    • His/her progress is reviewed formally on a regular basis <link to policy on reporting and monitoring progress>
    • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
    • Subject leaders will also regularly check the progress of vulnerable groups within their subject area and highlight concerns to the parent, tutor or learning coordinator as appropriate. The deputy Head teacher will also monitor whole school progress and identify any issues through the grade review system.
  • What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?
    • Your child’s tutor, subject teachers, learning coordinator or the schools SENDCo are regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used. Teaching staff are available either over the phone, at a parent surgery or at a time convenient to you both.
    • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
    • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
    • A home/school planner may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
    • There is a dedicated homework club that is supervises twice a week. Computer access is available. Please contact Mrs Day for more details.
  • How is Weobley High School accessible to children with SEND?
    • Weobley High School has recently invested heavily in improving accessibility of children with mobility problem through the addition of several ramps to the ground floor, disabled toilets, and hand rails however the upper floors of the 1960’s building remain inaccessible to wheelchair users.
    • Where mobility is an issue reasonable adjustments are made to ensure access to the curriculum. For example extra time to transition between lessons or timetabling lessons on the ground floor.
  • How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

    We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

    • If your child is moving child to another school:
      • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
      • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
    • We start working with our most vulnerable children as in year 5 and the schools SENDCo will attend annual reviews if appropriate. In Year 6 a transition program is in place for those who may struggle most with transition. This includes:
      • Visits to the primary school by Weobley High School’s SENDCo to discuss transition with parents, class teacher, TA, SENDCo and the child.
      • Visit to the primary school from either the Learning coordinator or the Head teacher
      • A comprehensive 6 week program run through the LInC to introduce high level needs children to Weobley High School
      • Open days and tours your parents of primary children to see the school and meet key staff
      • Taster days for all prospective students (one in year 5 and 2 in year 6)
      • Through consultation with the schools SENDCo bespoke support can be put in place to meet the needs of the child and ensure a successful transition
  • How will my child be supported in exams?
  • What is the LInC?

    Click the following link to view details on the LInC

    The LInC

  • Where can I find more information?