Careers Information – Year 11
Students are encouraged to complete a Progress File to take with them on their careers journey. This will include updating their CV and making a collection of their personal achievements to take forward for interviews.
In July all students are able to attend the 3 Colleges Taster day, where students can have a taste of courses they are considering taking in the future. We encourage all students to take the opportunity to visit all relevant open events at colleges to find out if the courses they are considering are right for them
Dedicated Year 11 Information evening with a chance to meet the local colleges and training providers.
Each student will be offered at least one dedicated careers interview to help them choose the most suitable pathway appropriate for them as they move forward from Weobley.
Also on offer, dedicated workshops to help with college and apprenticeship applications.
[accordion class=’accord1′][slide name=”Questions to consider when choosing your options post 16″]
• Will you enjoy the course?
• How is the course assessed?
• Does it meet your learning style?
• Do you prefer coursework or exam?
• How does the course differ from the course at GCSE?
• What will you will you be studying?
• How big is the jump?
• How do your teachers feel you will cope with the course?
• Do they have concerns?
• For example will you achieve the A or A* grade needed in Chemistry to become a doctor?
• What modules or subjects will you be studying?
• Have you done some outside reading on the subject if you have not studied it before?
• Don’t choose a course simply because it looks good or because your friend is studying the subject!
[slide name=”When Can I leave Education?”]
You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.
You must then do one of the following until you’re 18: Stay in full-time education, eg at a college
Start an apprenticeship or traineeship Work or volunteer (for 20 hours or more a week) while in part-time education or training.